Ingegneria Elettronica | PHOTOVOLTAICS AND OPTOELECTRONICS
Ingegneria Elettronica PHOTOVOLTAICS AND OPTOELECTRONICS
|DIPARTIMENTO DI INGEGNERIA INDUSTRIALE|
|YEAR OF COURSE 2|
|YEAR OF DIDACTIC SYSTEM 2016|
|The course widens the knowledge regarding electronic transport in semiconductors introducing the concepts of heterojunctions and quantum structures and introduces additionally the optical properties of a series of semiconductor materials.The principal optoelectronic devices are introduced and typical applications for these devices are demonstrated.|
At the end of the course, the student:
knows the principal interactions between light and matter.
knows the most important materials for optoelectronic applications.
understands the working principles of the fundamental optoelectronic devices.
learned to choose the appropriate materials and devices for finalizing projects in optoelectronics and photovoltaics.
learned how to extract important parameters of optelectronic devices from measurements, performed during the laboratory exercises.
developed simple applications of optoelectronic device, for example in the field of optical sensors and optical fiber based data transmission systems.
is able to characterize solar cells and panels and extract the most important parameters.
learned how to develop, realize and test a simple photovoltaic system.
Being able to describe, in written and oral form, correctly and clearly the acquired knowledge, and to produce documents, describing the laboratory experiences.
The student will be able to deepen the topics presented in the course by using multiple sources and materials.
Knowledge regarding the fundamental electronic devices and basic knowledge of solid state physics.
|- INTERACTION LIGHT-MATTER. OPTICAL AND ELECTRONIC PROPERTIES OF SEMICONDUCTORS. RADIATIVE PROCESSES IN SEMICONDUCTORS.(theory: 7h, exe: 2h)|
- MATERIALS AND GROWTH TECHNIQUES FOR OPTOELECTRONIC COMPONENTS
- HETEROJUNCTION THEORY AND INTRODUCTION INTO QUANTUM MECHANICS. (theory: 8h, exe: 2h)
- PHOTOEMITTERS: LED, LASER; OPTICAL AMPLIFIERS.
(theory: 6h, exe: 1h, lab: 6h)
- PHOTORECEIVERS: PHOTOCONDUCTORS, PHOTODIODES, AVALANCHE PHOTODIODES AND PHOTOTRANSISTORS.
(theory: 6h, exe: 1h, lab: 6h)
- OPTOELECTRONIC AND PHOTONIC LIGHT MODULATION. (theory: 3h)
- INTRODUCTION INTO THE CONCEPT OF PHOTOVOLTAIC ENERGY CONVERSION. COMPARISON WITH OTHER ELECTRICAL ENERGY SOURCES (theory: 9h, exe: 1h)
- PHOTOVOLTAIC MATERIALS AND DEVICES: SPECIFIC MATERIALS FOR PHOTOVOLTAIC APPLICATIONS. PN AND PIN TYPE HOMOJUNCTION SOLAR CELLS. HETEROJUNCTION BASED SOLAR CELLS. THE MULTI-JUNCTION SOLAR CELL.
(theory: 6h, exe: 2h)
- CARACTERIZATION OF SOLAR CELLS AND PANELS: CURRENT-VOLTAGE CHARACTERISTICS OF SOLAR CELLS. SPECTRAL RESPONSE MEASUREMENTS. ELECTRO- AND PHOTOLUMINESCENCE CHARACTERIZATION (theory: 4h, lab: 6h)
- ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS FOR OPTOELECTRONIC AND PHOTOVOLTAIC APPLICATIONS: MPPT-TRACKING, "MANAGING" OF ELECTRICAL ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEMS, ELECTRONIC INTERFACING OF PHOTORECEIVERS AND EMITTERS, ULTRA HIGH FREQUENCY TRANSISTORS (HBT, HEMT, MESFET) (theory: 4h, lab: 3h)
The course consists of theoretical lessons (60 h), classroom exercises (9h) and laboratory exercises (21h).
|Verification of learning|
|The examination consists of an oral test at the end of the course or in alternative of 2 written tests already during the course and additionally the discussion of the protocols, regarding the laboratory exercises. The first written test regards optoelectronics and the second test regards photovoltaics. The final vote is calculated in equal parts using the 2 written tests during the course and the final discussion of the laboratory exercise documentation.|
PALLAB BHATTACHARYA, "SEMICONDUCTOR OPTOELECTRONIC DEVICES", PRENTICE HALL (1994)
- DATASHEETS E WRITTEN MATERIAL DISTRIBUITED BY THE TEACHER
BETA VERSION Data source ESSE3 [Ultima Sincronizzazione: 2019-10-21]